Friday, August 8, 2008

Scent of a Woman


Most peoples memories are strongly attached to certain smells or melodies; both good and bad. This is nothing new; scientists have found the exact location in the brain responsible for connecting certain events or sensations from the present to a distant memory of the past. To get technical it's called the CA3 region of the brain. Which is why a certain scent like perfume or a childhood melody will instantly connect you to a vivid memory from the past. When I smell a fresh new can of tennis balls I think of all the times my brother kicked my ass on the tennis courts when we were kids (both a good and bad memory!). Or the smell of baby powder instantly conjures memories of helping my mom bathe and dress my cute, wiggly green-eyed infant sister (I'm 7 years older).

There is perhaps no other scent in the world like my Mom's. She has the most comforting, lovely and ladylike scent in the whole wide world. Chanel No. 5 and Nina Ricci's L'Air du Temps are her perfumes of choice. And she wears the perfume vs the perfume wearing her. It's not cloying but just right. When I smell Chanel No. 5 I think of all the times I would watch her get ready for a night out with my Dad. Or when I had a bad day she would hold me close and her scent would instantly soothe me. When I turned 16 my mom gave me my own bottle of Chanel No. 5 and it just didn't feel right. I laugh thinking about it now; but I have strongly associated that scent with my Mom. And for a 16 year old it was way to strong; it's a scent for a woman not a pubescent pimply young girl. I think my mom was anxious for me to grow out of my awkward stage and all I can say is we both had a meeting of minds on that score!

So with that in mind I can't help but think that having a wedding day perfume is anything but a silly notion; the memories both Jack and I will have of our wedding day will be tied to the scents and melodies of the day. I really like the perfume I've been using for the past 5 years or so but I'm thinking I need something a little bit more sophisticated. Case in point; here's the website description of my perfume of choice "Petite Cherie" by Annick Goutal: "A fruity-floral fragrance in which vanilla, peach, musk rose and freshly cut grass recall purity and boldness. Like a naive and determined woman-child who both stirs the senses and moves the heart". Enough said.

I have to tread carefully though. Jack has an attachment to Petite Cherie which he helped me pick out. It throws him off in a bad way if I wear anything else. Which I totally understand; if my mom wore anything else but Chanel No. 5 I would also be thrown for a loop. Strange as it may sound I'm asking Jack to help me pick out a perfume for our special day that he will hopefully like. I'll continue to wear Petite Cherie day to day (if I didn't I would be totally remiss) and wear my something new for evening. Who knows, if we are lucky to have kids perhaps one day they will be attached to my scent as I am to my Mom's:)

Are any of you contemplating a wedding day perfume? If so what scent will you use or did use?

No comments: