Thursday, April 17, 2008

Good Reads

I came across this wonderful site called Good Reads. You can share book recommendations with friends, write reviews and keep track of what you are reading and what you would like to read down the road. It's a virtual bookclub! It also keeps me motivated to peruse all those books I've been wanting to read but have been putting off. I just finished Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. Here is my recommendation:


{A wonderful book... you can hardly go wrong with Gabito. This is one of those books that you read so fast because you can't put it down that you have to re-read it to make sure you soak it in fully. It's a love story albeit an anquished unrequited love set against the languid and sensual backdrop of the coast of Colombia. I may be a little biased given that it takes place where my mother was born...I get severe homesickness whenever I read any of GGM novels. The letters... oh the letters! As fanciful and romantic a story this may be, GGM also takes on a realistic portrayal of marriage. A favorite line that made me laugh out loud..., "The problem in public life is learning to overcome terror; the problem in married life is learning to overcome boredom." I think GGM may be on to something here:) I highly recommend this book!!!}

No comments: