Thursday, April 17, 2008

Love Letters

Reading Love in the Time of Cholera got me thinking about the art of correspondence. I love receiving hand written notes from friends and family; it just feels more personable and special than a phone call or email. Back when we were in college, Jack participated in a summer internship all the way in Kenya. He wrote me a letter everyday while he was gone and would snail mail them to me in small packages. We couldn't afford to talk long distance so I would hurriedly open his packages as if it were Christmas morning. Eight years later I still find the occasional note here and there tucked away near my laptop or on my night stand. They are more special to me than anything else I own and they are carefully wrapped and stowed away in a safe place. Despite my maudlin meanderings, take some time out of your day to write a little note to a friend, family member or colleague. I promise they will find it endearing. This article from the National Postal Museum does a great job at explaining the ritual of letter writing and why it's so special.


In order to take my letter writing to a more sophisticated level, I think a Da Vinci boxed set from Mrs. John L. Strong would do the trick. Check out the cedar pencils and beautiful hand-bordered note cards:



Or for fun, here's a set called "Seven Deadly Sins". As the site suggests, go ahead and decline brunch with "Sloth" or send a love note with "Lust":


No comments: