Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Favorite Sunscreens

Since it is summer and given that I'm in a skincare kick I thought I would do a post on sunscreens and perhaps get some feedback on what works for the readers out there. I'm in the sun allot these days; I run outdoors 4 times a week, I go sailing (going tonight actually) and we occasionally hit up the "beach" here in Chicago. For me, finding a good sunscreen is like trying to find the perfect pair of jeans... in general my biggest issues with sunscreens are 1). they make me break out, 2) my face gets really oily, 3) depending on the sunscreen I get a white cast, 4). or the sunscreen doesn't offer enough protection. I have tried many sunscreen brands, from low end to high end, and I have come to realize that yes, sometimes you get what you pay for but sometimes drug store brands really will give you a lovely surprise. Here are my favs:


Low End: Neutrogena Ultra Sheer Liquid Sunblock is my favorite drugstore brand. It goes on very sheer, it absorbs quickly, and works well under makeup. It's a great bargain for $14. Cons: It does smell like your average sunscreen which I hate and I do get a greasy feel on my face. So, I usually use this sunscreen on my chest, shoulders, and the tops of my hands when I go out running.

Mid End: Anthelios XL Fluide Extreme Face SPF 50+: This stuff is great but I'm kicking myself for not buying it in bulk when we were in Paris because it's double the price here in the States ($35). Also, the European version is much better than the American formulation. It has all the positives of Neutrogena and it has a high PPD, it's lightweight, non greasy and it leaves a nice matte finish. It comes highly recommended by Dermatologists, especially for skin cancer patients. Cons: it doesn't come off as easy as other sunscreens.


High End: Dior Capture Totale UV Protect SPF 35: I love this sunscreen but the price tag ($52) kills me! Granted, it doesn't offer the same level of protection of Anthelios (that's my heavy hitter sunscreen) but for the face it's absolutely perfect (well my foundation and powders come with SPF so I have several layers of protection). It has a beautiful smell, doesn't streak and it doesn't make me break out at all. It's sheer, lightweight, doesn't ball up under make-up and it leaves a matte finish. It has all the pluses of Anthelios except it only comes in SPF 35 and it lacks Mexoryl. I only use this on my face and neck because it's so dammed expensive.

For me it's not just about protecting my face from wrinkles. My dad went through a bout of skin cancer several years ago and it put the fear of God in me to protect my skin at all costs. I would love to hear what works for you!

No comments: