Monday, October 12, 2009

Cozy in Chicago

Fall is bittersweet for me... it's my favorite season but it also signals the impending arrival of Winter. Native Chicagoans are surprisingly good natured about the cold so I decided I would be too (well- let's see what I have to say about that in February). Here are some of things that get me all excited about Fall.... what are your favorites?


The Holidays! Need I say more??


Warm Toasty Jackets & Sweaters: I love to layer myself in soft cashmere sweaters, cozy wool knits and stylish warm coats.... I literally pine for this season year round.


Apples: Apples to me epitomize the goodness of Fall. I can't get enough of them; whether it's apple butter on toast, homemade caramel apples or going to the apple orchards near Chicago for apple picking and jugs of apple cider. One of our favorite apple orchards to go to is Edwards Orchard out at Poplar Grove,IL; they have amazing cider donuts (heat them up in the microwave and they are to die for), horse drawn wagon rides and all the apples you could possibly desire. It will bring out the kid in you I promise. We are planning on going this weekend to stock up on our cider.


Foliage: I find the changing Fall foliage just as pretty as blooming Spring flowers. And there is nothing better than talking brisk walks in the Fall. I think what does it for me is the crisp, cool air-I guess I find it invigorating? Hmm. Combine that with a hot beverage and I'm good to go.


Soups: Warm soup on a cold blistery evening is bliss! I was already getting excited about making my soups/stews over the Summer! I find that soups or stews are really easy to make and you get lots of leftovers; perfect for the busy family. Our family favorites include tomato bisque with toasted cheese sandwiches and the family cure all: chicken soup. I'll be trying out a new butternut squash winter soup recipe this weekend. If its any good I'll post the recipe.


Comfy PJ's: I'm a little boring when it comes to my lounging pj's- I'm all about the boxer pajama set (brushed satin is the best). Warm flannel pj's are also great. I love to come home, change into my pj's and hunker down with a good book and a cup of hot chocolate (or cider!)

No comments: