Thursday, October 1, 2009

Book Club


My sister and I decided to start our own little book club! We are both bibliophiles; if we are not busy doing something in particular you will usually see us with a book in our hands. Lately we have been stuck in a literary rut; we have both been too loyal to our favorite genres and it was time to spread our wings a little bit and see what's out there. That's how the idea for a book club started. We already had lists of books we wanted to read someday that we kept putting off. Well no longer! With that said it was pretty easy to put together a cohesive book club list. We wanted to incorporate various genres; from humor and travel writing to mathematics and philosophy. There's a good amount of classics on the list too that we had started but never finished. We are only on our second book but so far our little book club has started with a bang:)

I've never started or participated in one of these clubs before so its all very new to me but exciting nonetheless. I decided to look online for some guidance and I found a link to LitLovers, a site devoted to helping people create book clubs. It offers suggestions from creating book lists, how to run a book club and even recipes book club members can create for their meetings. From this site we were able to create some guidelines for the club because, well, every club needs rules for members to follow right? We alternate who picks the book for the group to read and the leader of the discussion group is the person that picked the book for discussion. Other guidelines we created were based on meeting times, how books are picked, and how both the leader and the group were supposed to prepare for the discussions. If you are interested in creating a book club then I suggest you check it out!




We just finished reading The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger which we found to be satisfactory but not great. I know it was popular enough to be made into a movie but we had our qualms with it. Great beginning and suspenseful ending but the characters were underdeveloped and the author tried to interlace too many sub-themes without also developing them properly. But it was a unique take on time travel- I have to give it that. To keep with the whole time travel theme we jumped right into reading A Brief History in Time by Stephen Hawking. My physics is a little rusty but the beauty of this book is that it is written for the layman- I can actually get through it without feeling overwhelmed. I do have many questions to ask the other book members and it helps that they are all engineers! Right now I'm in the middle of reading about quarks and black holes etc and I'm riveted. Who knew black holes could be so sexy?!?

Wish us luck and happy readings to all of you!

No comments: