Friday, June 27, 2008

Grace Kelly's Veil


Grace Kelly.... ah the quintessential classic bride. When I was little I remember seeing a photo of her in all her finery and wishing I could be a Princess just like her. I was particularly enchanted with her veil and I still am. Yup, I was the kid walking around with a sheet looking more like a ghost/nun than a pretend bride to be. I vacillated between having a blusher until I saw the above photo and my mind was made up for good. It's traditional, romantic and "bridal".

The masterful couturier Helen Rose, cheif designer at MGM studios, was in charge of creating Grace Kelly's bridal ensemble. She found beautiful antique rose point lace or as it's also referred to as "point de gaze" for the gown and veil. The double petaled roses on the lace is unbelievable; it's extremely hard to come by and only a few places in Brussels still maintain the painstaking art form of making rose point lace. Here are some photos of Grace Kelly's veil and gown housed at the Philadelphia Museum of Art:


I also love the row of tiny beautiful bottons on the front

For some reason I always thought G. Kelly's veil was of cathedral length. The panel of lace in the gown gives the impression of a longer veil.


No comments: