Saturday, May 3, 2008

Streetcar

Streetcar, I heart you.

Image credit: Photos by Rick

It was a happy day when one could hear the sounds of the streetcar coming down St. Charles Avenue after Hurricane Katrina. They are as much a symbol of New Orleans as the oak trees that line the streets, the fleur de lis, crawfish boils, or even Mardi Gras. I managed to survive 4 years in New Orleans without a car thanks to the well run streetcars and shady buses. The streetcar aided in my escape from the self imposed academic bubble called Uptown for my downtime in the Quarter many a time. Hence my undying love and devotion for this form of public transportation.

Thus it was an even happier day when I found out that the New Orleans Regional Transit Authority are renting out the streetcar for private events. Weee!!!!! Although we are having a really small wedding reception we thought it would be a nice touch to be able to provide transportation for guests from the chapel to the reception site. Since both happen to be located on St. Charles Avenue what better way to do it than in streetcar style! Bring on the lack of air conditioning and cute Christmas decor! I know our guests will eat it up.

I have to give a shout out to Alma M. who is in a word- lovely. She remained completely calm and collected as I shrieked and whopped with joy on reserving my streetcar. Oh and on the side she gives good marital advice too. That's just how they roll in New Orleans....

No comments: