Thursday, May 1, 2008

Cookie Monster

When it comes to Grandma cookies I go soft at the knees. Jack's Grandma S. makes the best molasses cookies I have ever had. My sentiment for these cookies is almost as bad as Proust and his silly madeleine's. Every time she sent Jack a care package, I would sneakily steal his cookies. Yes, I sneak food. It's a bad, bad habit. My poor college room-mates could attest to that. I have tried for hmm 8 years? to get this secret family cookie recipe. The first time I received recipe version #1 I was overjoyed. I couldn't wait to try it out in the kitchen. But then they came out hard as rocks. What did I do wrong? How did I fail? I know I followed the recipe to the letter.

Fast forward 8 years, 3 different recipes, countless of attempts and an empty plate of chewy dense molasses cookies I have come to the conclusion that Grandma S. has been holding out on me- on purpose. Yes, that's right... I said it. That sweet, lovely lady has been holding out on me on purpose. To further illustrate the point Jack would kindly "praise" my hockey puck cookies and say "They're good honey, but they're just not Grandma Cookies". Humph.

After putting all conspiracy theories aside I had an epiphany; somethings should be left as is. And he's right... there is no greater pleasure in the world than receiving a care package filled with delicious grandma cookies. So I raise my cold glass of milk and toast Grandma S. for filling our lives with love and care through her delicious baked goods. Here's the last molasses cookie waiting to be eaten by yours truly, Cookie Monster.

1 comment: