Thursday, February 26, 2009

Honeymoon Part II: Paris

I've been fortunate enough to discover Paris on my own as a teenager and visit Paris with someone I love. Paris is a city for everyone; it rejoices the unexpected, the path of self discovery and of course love. It really is a wonderful magical place. As Jack likes to say, "We will always have Paris". I couldn't agree more.

Some people go to Paris to shop. Some come to Paris to be seen. We go to Paris to eat, eat, eat! I have a must see list of favorite "foodie" sites that I have cultivated over the years that I thought I would share with all of you. Here is part of my Paris Rolodex in all of its glory that features what I consider the best of the best:


Brasserie Balzar: This is a wonderful old brasserie with lots of charm with the most Parisian of waiters. Balzac has been around since the late 1800's and is a favorite of the Left Bank arts community. Don't be frightened off by the waiters; if you are courteous, enjoy great food and have a sense of humor they will respond in kind. Ironically enough the same waiter we had the night of our engagement was our waiter on our return to Paris. The escargot is delicious and Jack swears by the liver and onions. We ended our evening discussing politics with a fun Swedish couple over a delicious 2003 Comte Armand Pommard Cru (yes I had to write it down it was so good).


Le Petite Prince de Paris: Petit Prince is located near the Pantheon on a little side street called Rue Lanneau. You can't miss it with its cheerful red facade. This is a great place for a romantic dinner for two; the ambiance is as famed for its food. Just thinking of the stuffed Boudin chicken is making my mouth water. Go for the prix fix; it is an excellent value. The staff is friendly and reservations are not hard to come by. This is a must!


Au Bon Saint-Pourcain: This little gem was discovered after a visit to the nearby Saint-Sulpice church. We were ambling down Rue Servadoni (strangely enough there are not one but several "Australian" themed stores on this Rue) when we stopped at this picturesque little restaurant. When I think of authentic French food I think of Au Bon Saint-Pourcain. Imagine a hearty roast lamb, fragrant escargot or a tasty sole. It doesn't get more authentic than this.


Poilane: Probably the most famous boulangerie in Paris and it definitely lives up to its name. You know it is a winner when you see local Parisians waiting in line for their dense and chewy bread. I'm partial to the sourdough but what I think makes this boulangerie so special is their jam. Yes, I could live without the bread but the jam is fantastic. The myrtle (blueberry) is heavenly. If I could ship a crate home of myrtle jam I would. Nothing... I mean nothing compares to it here in the States. I would buy a ticket back just for the jam! Jack and I would make a stop at Poilane on our way home everyday for bread and jam.


Laduree: I waxed poetic over Laduree in one of my previous posts and I still think they make the best French Macaroons. Its an experience not to be missed. Although Angelina's was great I think Jack and I prefer Laduree for not only it's delicious pastries, cakes and macaroons but for its tea house experience. For God's sakes they need to open a store in the States, even if I have to travel to NYC!


Barthelemy: Barthelemy is located on one of my favorite streets in Paris (Rue Grenelle). It's pretty nondescript and tiny but if you want to try the best cheese in Paris then this is the place. It's really pricey but worth it. The properitiers are walking fromage encyclopedias. Don't be shy and ask for their expertise. There is a cheese for every wine and dish. I'm partial to any type of chevre but they have a fast selection of brie, fontainebleu ect. Try the boulamour: the store speciality triple creme fromage blanc soaked in kirsch and studded with currants. Talk about a tasty snack!


Maison Rollet-Pradier: A wonderful patissier-chocolatier. For New Years we bought a petit French macaroon chocolate mousse for dessert that we shared with a wonderful bottle of champagne (Ruinart). It was the tastiest chocolate mousse either one of us has ever had.



Hediard: One can go to the Grand Epicerie de Pars a Bon Marche for gourmet foods but if you want something similar on a much smaller scale then Hediard's is the place to go. This is the place to buy some tasty fois gras (to put on your Poilane bread!) or peruse the enormous selections of coffees and teas. Also they have great gift baskets to bring back home to your loved ones.


Maison Berthillon: I was touring Ill Saint Louis on a hot, sunny Parisian day back 10 or so years ago with a group of friends. We were downright pooped from sight seeing and we were cranky. One of the girls suggested we try and find Berthillon, a famed ice cream shop to liven our moods. It's simply delicious. We sat on the corner and ate our ice cream and scouted for Johnny Depp (he didn't show). Oh well, it was amazing. Unfortunately Jack and I never got a chance to go (well I'm not big on eating ice cream when its cold) but hopefully we will go back. Just watch out for the crowds!

No comments: