Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Moroccan Wedding Blanket

All Images via Flickr via moroccanmaryam's photostream

I'm a huge fan of Maryam over at My Marrackesh. She has a wonderful writing style, beautiful photos and just an overall incredibly interesting life. Having lived all over the world I can relate to the expat lifestyle and although I dearly love Chicago I get a severe case of wanderlust when I read her blog. Maryam and her husband have built on oasis called the Peacock Pavilions and I believe the opening will be this November. If I'm ever in that part of town, I will make sure to make reservations and perhaps meet the lovely Maryam while I'm at it.

Just like the rest of the blogging world I'm seriously considering getting myself a Moroccan wedding blanket. Moroccan wedding traditions are very rich and elaborate with wedding festivities lasting days. One wedding tradition still upheld in traditional Moroccan households is the weaving of the wedding blanket by the women in the bride's family. The wedding blanket is completely handmade and takes a painstaking amount of time to make; the lamb's wool is hand loomed and serves as a protection of evil, a talisman for the bride and her family. If you want a little more background check out Musings. Maryam sells both antique and brand new Moroccan wedding blankets and if you are interested in buying one you can contact her through her blog. Here's one blanket from Maryam's collection that is calling my name:


I love how fluffy the lamb's wool looks with the sequin stripes. I think it would be neat to have a protective talisman in your home... don't you?


No comments: